Unmissable multi day ski tour: The Haute Route!
The “Haute Route” Chamonix Zermatt is certainly the most famous ski tour in the world. You might think it was an overly classic outing but we are never disappointed, the landscapes encountered are unmatched, the mountains between Chamonix and Zermatt are among the most beautiful of the Alps. Arriving in Zermatt with a view of the Matterhorn, Dent Blanche, Dent d’Herens… is a guaranteed unforgettable memory, etched into your mountain soul forever. In short, connecting Chamonix and Zermatt on skis, two key places in the history of mountaineering, is a unique journey!
Description of the route
The program is given as an indication, the guide is the only judge and decision maker, they may modify the program according to the meteorological and snow conditions, the physical form and technical level of the group.
- [Day1] Lift access to the Grand Montets and skiing up to the col des Rachasses. Ride down to the glacier d’Argentière by the glacier des Rognons. Safety tips (avalanche search, rope technics and talk about the following days…). Overnight at the refuge d’Rentière (2711m). Gain up 650m / down 500m.
- [Day 2] Ascent to the col du Passon (3018m) skiing then boot-packing. Ski down the Chardonnet north face to the col supérieur du Tour (3289m). Night at cabane de Trient. Gain up 550m / down250m.
- [Day 3] Long ride down by the glacier du Trient to Champex (1480m) trough the col des Ecandies. Lift by the road to le Chable to access the Verbier ski area. By the col de la Chaux (2940m) and the col de Momin (3003m), we access the cabane de Prafleuri (2662m). Option for the Rosablanche on the way (3336m). Gain up 700m / down 900m.
- [Day 4] Up to the col des Roux (2804m) and ride down to the barrage des Dix before going up by the “pas du chat” at la cabane des Dix(2928m). Gain up 850m / down 400m.
- [Day 5] Ascent of the Pigne d’Arolla (3796m) : that day we’ll go through the famous “Serpentine” (crampons needed regarding conditions). The summit of le Pigne is a really nice view point on the surrounding massif. Ride down and overnight at la cabane des Vignettes (3160m). Gin up 850m / down 640m
- [Day 6] Ride up at col de l’Evêque (3392m), long way down on the haut glacier d’Arolla, last up hill to the cabane de Bertol (3311m) by the Plan de Bertol. Overnight at la cabane de Bertol. Gain up 980m / down 1050m.
- [Day 7] Skining up to Tête Blanche (3710m) with a fantastic view on the Matterhorn and wonderfull ride down to Zermatt (1660m). Up 400m – down 2100m.
Gear & équipement
The following list is given as an info and you’ll check everything with your guide.
- Touring kit, skis and shows. 90mm under waist skis are a good ratio skiabiliy/wieght. The best shoes are the ones you are confortable in!
- Back pack (30/35L), shovel, probe, beacon.
- Multi layer clothes. Gore Tex Jkt, down jkt, sun cap, sun glasses, ski google.Appareil photo à ne pas oublier !
- Camera and spare battery!